Friday, October 4, 2019

Butterflies - Class Third

    My third class at Tat Days was to be the Butterflies In Flight by Jane Eborall. Now I have it completed as a small bookmark. She suggested using it as an edging, bracelet or bookmark, so bookmark it is. One thing I really like is the way the lock chain adds to the leading wing edges. Really pretty.
     This is not too hard to do if you understand SCMR's. The hardest part for me was starting it. I have a habit of avoiding knots when I can. I did not follow her instructions to begin with a weaver's knot. I laid the threads where I needed them, then tatted over tails with a bit of a pass through. If you want to see something similar, Jane is preparing to add a technique to her pages that will demonstrate it. It is not exactly the way I started this, but close. I did start with two separate threads and made the SCMR immediately. (You have to pay close attention to which thread is which.)
    At the end, I decided to add a spiral and then fray the end. I did not get as much fray as I would have liked, but it will do fine for my books.

6 comments:

  1. Great color choice! This weekend is Butterfly Days in the town next to mine. The kids will all be marching dressed as Monarch butterflies. Your tatting would fit right in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blue and gold are the colors of West Vitginia University. I went to WV Tech, the engineering school for WVU, so I like the blue and gold.

      Delete
    2. As for me and those who live here: Go Blue!

      Delete
  2. It does make a lovely bookmark! I received word yesterday that my Tat Days patterns are on their way. I'm so glad I remembered to order them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job Tim, I really need to get going on my Tat Days projects.

    ReplyDelete