Monday, March 13, 2017


    I was just about through with the "attachment" round this morning when I noticed I was getting low on thread on the "ball thread" shuttle. Since this round is all chain, I did an SLT and continued, thinking I would have enough thread that way. I had started CTM so the thread is all the same color.
    I had about 5 chains to go and the thread came off the bobbin. I have been a fan of post shuttles mostly but I think I may be changing back. If you remember, I just got the Pop-A-Bobbin shuttles a couple of weeks ago and I have been working with them trying to adjust. This morning has pretty much sold me on them. And I mean the Pop-A Bobbin in particular.

    The left photo shows just how little thread is left. I think it is just enough to sew in the ends. I was able to use the shuttle to finish tatting though. With any other shuttle, I don't think i could have, but look at the right photo. What I did was pass the end of the thread through the little hole in the bobbin, then I trapped the end in the hole with the shuttle pin. It cannot come loose and I was able to use almost all the thread without finger tatting. What a lifesaver!

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Round Redone

    It took a little longer than I thought, but I finally got the round finished. This is the round that I completely cut off. If you look at the photo, you can see that with the correct number of rings, the doily needs almost no blocking at all. It is laying well and the rings are not pulled. Now I am glad I took the old round off. That was horrible.

    Now to calculate the rings for the next round. I bet it will be more than 102.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Keeping A Promise

    When I was in Tampa last week, one of the women in the office saw a photo of some earrings by Marilee Rockley that I had made. I promised I would make her a set. These are already on the way to her. I think she will like them. Promise kept.
    Now back to the carousel.

Monday, March 6, 2017

The Trip

    Well, glad that is over. I had to go to Tampa, Florida for a week on business. A 9 hour drive down, then almost 12 hour days and a 9 hour drive back. Very tiring. I was gone for 6 days. Hotels are not my friend. I took my carousel doily with me to try to get some of it done. I did not get much. I cannot tat on a bed. The chair in the room was not very good for it and the lighting was atrocious. I got off work close to 6 every day and the sun went down by 6:30 or so, so I could not even sit by the window and tat, like I had thought I would be able to do.

    At least the piece is behaving this time around. Since I did the math to figure the rings, it is laying much, much better. This photo is with no blocking at all and the round is going nicely around. It is flat instead of turned up and pulled. I should be able to get it done sooner now that the trip is over. I do have to do a set of earrings for someone, but that won't take long. I will post those when I get them done.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

TIAS 2 Sizes

    To try out the Pop-A-Bobbin shuttles I made another Crinoline Lady, as Jane called it. I call it a duchess, as the "hair" reminds me of the duchess headdress I have seen in fantasy movies.

    I did the second one in Lizbeth 689 Light Mint, size 80. Now I have the duchess and her child, the little duchess. I think they are headed to the ball.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Needles for tails

    I sew in tails when I am through making something, of course. I sometimes have to sew in short tails. That can be a trick in itself. To help make it easier I decided to look for a better needle. I found side loading "easy thread" needles. They do work well, and I can thread one in a second without struggle.
    After I found the needles, I needed a box to keep them in. I tried the little tin that has a sliding top, but it is not easy to choose a needle and then reach in and pick it up. The little magnet inside is not all that big. I remembered seeing a box at Wal-Mart the other day and thinking I would have no use for it. Now I find the use. I searched around and found out JoAnn Fabric is having a sale on that box, for $4.99 instead of $7.99. Almost half off. I bought a couple. Well, 4 of them. It has a magnetic sheet on the bottom of the box to hold needles.

The box is large and easy for me to sort, select and pick up the needle I need. I'm glad I found them.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

New Shuttles!

   OK! Now I am all excited! I just went to the mail box and found what I was waiting for. New shuttles. Pop-a-Bobbin shuttles. Jane is selling some, but I actually ordered these direct from Sally. She put them in the mail last Tuesday. They are here this Tuesday. Only 7 days across the pond and through customs? Amazing.
    Anyway, I had to try them out. The wood feels so good in the hand. I loaded some size 80. The hooks fit it well. One thing I really noticed was that these are the first silent tatting shuttles I have ever seen or used. I mean no clicks either from the tips as the thread passes through, or from the bobbin as in winds and unwinds. One thing I will do, though, is leave the little sleeve on the hook. I have a nasty habit of catching on everything. That is one of the reasons I don't usually use a bobbin shuttle. I can remove it to make a join, then put the cover back. Not a problem. I don't get in a hurry.
    I got one in apple and one in ebony. I like ebony. Very stable wood. That's why they make piano keys and oboes from it. I like the look of the grain in the apple and the color is just beautiful. Together they make a nice contrast for shuttle one and shuttle two.
    I am leaving Sunday morning for a week long business trip to Tampa, Florida. When I am not working, I know what I will be doing in the hotel room. Silently.