Sunday, October 6, 2019

Double Dip Braid - Class Fourth and Final

    Sometimes I like to take classes, not for the article, like the coin purse, but for the techniques involved. This was one of those. I saw the braid and asked myself what is the path to make this one pass and did not see an obvious answer. It is intended to be something like a lanyard, but I do not usually use those. I wanted the technique.

    Since, once again, I could not stay for the class, when I got back I did my classes at home. It has taken me several days as I have other things to do too. You all know how life happens. I finished them in the order that I would have done at Toccoa.
    I began this one and got to the fourth ring, which happens to be on the second row. You make the first two rows first. I saw a dilemma. How to add the chain back to the first row and still end up at the top of the chain. Erin Holloway-Moseley taught the class, but was not here to advise me, so looking at the instructions it says connect and wrap backwards. I thought about that for a moment and decided to do this:
    I put the hook through and pull up a loop, pass the shuttle through, pull it back under, making sure it lies neatly, put the thread over and pull down a loop, pass the shuttle through and pull back up, tighten to the first part and you have a DS. It's a split chain without the split, sort of.
    Erin, if you read this, tell me if I got it right. I do know that for some reason my rings don't overlap like hers do, but I think I figured out the technique. I also see I need to make it neater.

8 comments:

  1. Boggles the mind a bit. I can see why it was a good candidate for a class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love braid patterns! This one is intriguing. My patterns from Tat Days are on their way, so I hope to be trying out some of these patterns soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Erin comments on what I said I did. The instructions were probably more meant to be used in class.

      Delete
    2. Diane, see Erin's reply below. I don't know how well you get along with a split chain, but Marie makes it easy.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Tim! I have used Marie's method of doing split chains, and I find them very easy. Now I need to master split rings!

      Delete
  3. Tim, it's exactly that. I did it as an exercise for practicing split chains. I figured everyone can tolerate 3 stitches, right? I guess technically one might call the "bridge" part a type of encapsulation, but one uses the same technique as for a cabone ring or split chain. It looks good! You may wish to reduce the stitch count for the side chains to two for more overlap. Or increase tension. The actual structure is the chain. The rings are just sort of dangly bits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know. Now I know what i can do. I like Marie Smith's way of doing a split chain. Thanks again.

      Delete
  4. Marie's method is exactly what we did. Now figure out two colors!

    ReplyDelete