Saturday, January 28, 2017

First Brown Chain

    I bought a new scanner today. Then it occurred to me that it might be better to scan this than to photograph it with my phone. I like the way it makes it lay flat and eliminates the shadows.
    This is the first brown chain round. It separates the rounds of the rings. I have to calculate the locations of the picots in relation to the lock joins by figuring the count between rings and the number of rings I need. I am using AutoCAD to chart it out.
    I actually did this round twice. I had, for some stupid reason, cut the thread from the ball after winding the shuttle. Habit maybe? Then as soon as I did, I realized I needed the ball thread so I worked them back together. No, I did not make a knot. I try to do everything (almost) knot-less. Anyway, when I got around the first time, the number of tails just made a mess of it and I got a couple of really bad places in the thread. I thought about it and just cut the whole round back off. Then I wound the shuttles CTM and went to it again. Much better. At least this is a quick round, just a few hours to redo it.

    Next another round of the rings, just more of them. At this point the floor is at 7" (177mm) across. Yes, I can do the conversion in my head. I have been using both measurement systems for the last year and almost have the conversions memorized.


  1. This is beautiful Tim and can't wait to see more and where you will be going with it😄

    1. If you look back a couple of posts you will see where I am going. This is the floor of the carousel. That is why I was hesitant to call it a "doily". The next few rounds are rings and chains, like I have here, just more of them. I will be posting progress pictures because it gives me incentive to keep on it. Hope you don't get bored.