Monday, September 23, 2019

Hand Safety

    An unusual topic, this time. Something we should think about, but probably don't very often. Hand safety. It is important. It is hard to tat without hands. You need to take care of them and keep them out of harms way.
    This photo shows a small sore spot on my finger. I did not have on my gloves the other day while out in my shop and I was cleaning something on a wire wheel. My finger hit the wire wheel, which is very abrasive, and it scraped off a little skin, just enough to expose the raw area and slightly bleed. It is healing, but slowly.

    What does this have to do with tatting? Well, look where it is. When I make a join, I pass the hook through the picot and it hits my finger about where the sore spot is. It is still touchy and it stings. For the first couple of days, I had to wear a bandage to keep the blood off my thread. It is hard to tat with a band-aid on my index finger, too!

    This is a minor injury. What if it had been worse? Then I possibly could not tat for a while, and if it were bad enough, never tat again! Take care of your hands. You need them!

9 comments:

  1. No kidding! I fell down on May 31 and broke three bones in my left hand! Thanks to brilliant doctors and three surgeries,I can tat now but only for a little while. It’s been a long three months..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! When I broke my wrist almost twelve years ago, my biggest concern was about my ability to tat. Thankfully, my doctor and physical therapist kept me on the right track!

    ReplyDelete
  3. try putting NuSkin on it - it's a paint on bandage, and stays on well. Warning - on a fresh cut the application of it will make you curse a blue streak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, I have heard of that stuff. I suppose Walgreens would have it, but I have never tried it. Thanks for the tip. (And if it does not taste nasty or hurt, it is not medicine.)

      Delete
  4. Hands are important. I no longer play weddings as the fast Tocatta passages just don't happen anymore. I still play, but mostly slow moving pieces without huge chords. And no guitar. Take care of your hands and your health....tatting can help both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure can. Good exercise to keep the joints in shape.

      Delete