Wednesday, July 17, 2019

New Threads

    I have finished round 8. It was pretty simple to work. The instructions were fine and it went fairly quickly. Now I am starting on round 9. This should be interesting. There are these "flowers" all around it and they are not hooked together so they will be flopping, making it a little more difficult to handle. I shall persevere, though. One thing I found that will make it more interesting is there are lock chains used. It will provide a bit of change and cause me to look at it a bit closer as I work. I have not ironed it out yet.

    Last round I had to add new thread 3 times. I bet this one will take 6 times. I am keeping wound bobbins ready. I do not tie knots to add thread. Instead, I try to end at a ring, sew in one end, then pass the new thread through the ring, pull it up and tat over the tails. How far? Well, it depends on the new ring or chain. Often i will tat over tails for the entire ring or chain to give it a more even appearance. Sometimes I only do it until the first or second join or picot. It's all a judgment call.
    On round 8, I had to join in the middle of chains. Most of it was chain, join, chain, join and so on. I made a join, then sewed that thread back into the previous chain. Then I passed the new thread through the join and continued, tatting over tails. It works for me.

5 comments:

  1. When a technique works for you, it doesn't matter if anyone else likes it! I tend to tat over tails to the first picot, but there are times when I go around the whole ring. It's looking great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used lock chains instead of chains that the nuns used so that they would be straighter and narrower. I thought it was a ‘good idea’ at the time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking very nice and like the lock chains Jane put in the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually add at a ring too, for me it is just easier. I do it a little different but do whatever works for you. Oh yes I tat over the tail but try to plan and use a magic thread on the other end as I hate sewing in the ends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's beautiful and alway fun to add your own personalality to things especially when it works💐

    ReplyDelete