Wednesday, July 10, 2019

A Little Better

    In the photo you can see my new desktop. On this folding table I use as a desk, the surface had deteriorated over years of use. I had tried using a tablecloth, but kept pulling threads and snags. I then tried that black plastic picnic tablecloth, but that eventually tore and the fuzz inside kept getting on everything. Finally, I bought this contact paper at Lowe's. I had already done one table with the same pattern and it has held up very well. Now I have done this table. I like it. It does not show the white thread so well, but I do use a lot of colors that should show easily. We will have to see.

    I purchased some blocking mats from Amazon. Not the expensive ones. I needed to block Juliana a bit so I could keep it from becoming a tangled mass. I laid it out yesterday evening and pinned it out, then hit it with the starch. I think it did just what I wanted. I tried to find all the twists in the chains and picots and straighten them. I got all but a couple, I think. Still, now I can see the pattern a lot better.
    I think I can start round 8 today. If not, tomorrow. I don't think it will be nearly as complicated as what has already been tatted.

6 comments:

  1. Fancy being the King of Repurpose? I claim Queen of Repurpose! For my work surface I need something portable. So, I've got a black and a white hard mat. Repurposed from somewhere.... For photographhing and mounting I almost always go with black. Something about color theory at play....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really king of re-purpose so much as cheap. This was actually the best pattern they had. They did not have a black and the others were highly patterned.

      Delete
  2. Wish I’d thought of using starch instead of just water when I was working this doily!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom does amazing things with contact paper. I always make a mess. I'm glad it worked out for you! The doily looks great so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is wonderful that you have repurposed or re covered the table. Juliana looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The doily is looking great! I guess for a larger piece it helps to block it during tatting to keep it more manageable.

    ReplyDelete