Wednesday, February 7, 2018

I Was Uncle Festered

    Its been an interesting few weeks lately. I really don't think I talk too much about my life outside of tatting, maybe I do, I don't know. But I have been dealing with sciatica for a while now. It started the 19th of December and really got bad. I finally got to a doctor. He put me on painkillers until I could see a neurosurgeon. Then I have had to do physical therapy for a few weeks. Finally, yesterday, I was Uncle Festered. You don't have any idea, do you? You remember the Addams Family probably. The old TV show. One of Uncle Fester's lines was "Shoot him in the back!" Well, yesterday they did that to me. The doc gave me a version of an  epidural. She (yes, she) put some kind of concoction into my back but did not penetrate the spinal cord, like a spinal tap would. The objective, in my understanding, is that it should make the bulging disc shrink back down off the sciatic nerve and numb that nerve for a while. I get to see the surgeon again in a few weeks. Hopefully it will do what he wants and I won't need surgery.

    Meanwhile, I have been tatting. I now have round 6 of the Spring Napkin done. I will start round 7 tonight. It should be interesting. I am climbing out of every round. This one comes into a sort of butterfly arrangement so I have to figure the path to develop it and be able to proceed with the rest of the round. I  think I already have it. Probably not as hard as it looks at first. I just have to try.

8 comments:

  1. It's looking good, the doily. And sorry about your pain that a ruff one. I meant to tell you something last time about threads, for a nice quality thread like size 100 try the king tut threads by superior threads, that are really nice, years ago Diane gave me a sample of hers and I bought some and did a spring doily and other things with it and it seemed to lasted for ever. Also it was I thought a very good price. For the amount of thread. It's worth checking into and comparing. I recall never comming across a knot as well this is 100 percent cotton and used in sewing machines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look them up right now. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
    2. I ordered some. What weight is it compared to tatting thread?

      Delete
    3. I don't remember to be honest. Glad you got some you will be happy. Just read your comment below about hiding ends,I find that with this size thread 100 or 80 I use a beading needle it dosent have to be a long one and I whip stitch the ends to the tiny loops made on the edge of the rings or chains, made a video on that if you don't know what i mean. You tube madtatter80 I used size 80 in the film.

      Delete
    4. When I ordered the King Tut, I ordered some fine needles to go with it. Now I am learning about needle sizes too.

      Delete
  2. Tim, your Doily looks wonderful. I like climbing out to the next round too, less ends to deal with, of course unless you change color. I have heard that sciatica is quite painful. I hope you can solve the issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bernice. I think the pain, at least is under control with the shot. I really don't like to do tails if I can avoid them. I'm almost afraid to try to sew them with this size thread. I bet the King Tut is worse, though. Will wait and see.

      Delete
  3. So thankful the shot worked. My husband has had over 40 shots and now they don't work any more. Friday he goes in for a spinal simulator device. Sciatica pain should never happen to anyone. It's terrible and I'm so sorry you're having to deal with it.
    Your tatting is wonderful. My 71 year old eyes prefer size 30 or 20 and sometimes 80.

    ReplyDelete