Thursday, February 7, 2019

A New Strip

    I am now almost over the cold I have had for 3 weeks. This has been miserable. The doctor gave me a course of antibiotic, but had to give me another, stronger one when the first did not work. Feeling better now, but still a little congested.
   I am working on something I have promised myself for 40 years or more. Look at the row of rings in the picture. Recognize it? In the back of the book "Tatting Patterns and Designs" are 3 crowns. I always wanted to do one. I have started it several times and lost interest or got diverted to something else and forgot about it. Now I am going to do it and finish it. This will be Faith, the first one.


    When I started this row, I made a ring, then a chain. I wondered about the next ring. Do a shoelace? Then it hit me. So obvious. These are all thrown (floating) rings. That also means that the chain is continuous, so it will want to curl, distort, pull. I find the easy way to force it straight is just hold the first ring and rub my finger along it, a little at a time, until it is straight. It seems to work pretty well.

8 comments:

  1. Or you could do a double double stitch for the chain or (even better) a half double double stitch. It’s such an attractive piece but I’m wondering what you’re going to use it for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use? Maybe for the display at Tat Days or the State Fair. Perhaps donate to a local bridal shop? Give to some young girl about to get married? Use? I just make things. I let someone else figure out how to use them.

      Delete
    2. A soulmate!!! I put most things in boxes when they’re done!!!

      Delete
  2. I don’t know the pattern, so I look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very compact. It has a good chance of keeping its shape when washed. There are few edgings I would put on garments, but that one would look great!

    Linda R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim that piece is looking very fine. I think it would look good no matter where it ends up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice and straight I may have to look in my book to see what your gonna do next😄

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! Those crowns have been on my to-do list ever since I purchased the book. I'll be watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete