Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Sugar Maple

    I suppose I am a sucker for colors. When I saw Marilee's post about her sugar maple HDT I just had to buy some. I got 3 of size 20 and 3 of size 80. This thread is just beautiful. It arrived in skeins in just a few days. I have never used HDT before so I had to figure out how to handle it. Tatting from the skein would be a disaster, I am sure, because I know me. It will tangle. It will knot. It will invent ways to keep me from using it. (Do you know computers sit up at night figuring out ways to mess up your work tomorrow?)
     I had a small revelation. What were all those EZ-Bobs in the drawer for? I got some of them out and rewound the thread onto them. Now I can use the thread without fear, and I know too that there are no knots in the middle.
     Sorry for the lousy picture. The mat (well used) reflects light too much. But isn't the thread gorgeous? Now to figure out the perfect design for it. I do have some ideas...

11 comments:

  1. So that’s what computers get up to overnight! Accounts for a lot of the happenings in our house too! A suggestion. I write the name and size of the thread on the flat sides of the EZ-bobs using a Sharpie. It can easily be rubbed off when you re-use the EZ-bob too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too, but i didn't know it was easy to get off. I thought I would use alcohol or something.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, tatting from the skein is a no-no, tangles are guaranteed, but EZ-bobs are marvellous. I look forward to seeing what you do with this beautiful thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure just yet, but I have something in mind. Problem is, I am not a designer. I have to draw it and figure it out. As Shackleford said, "I may be some time". And I have to keep it within the 150 yards of thread I have.

      Delete
  3. Very fabulous colors just fun to look at and sleep on what it will become😍

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of my favorite autumn colorways!! :) Can't wait to see what you tat with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marilee sends a tag with the size and color, I usually just enclose it within the EZ Bob. What a great colorway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Marilee's threads. They are a delight to work with. I had the same concern as you the first time I received the skeins, so I unearthed something I had kept from my cross-stitch era: the little bobbin winder (example here - quite expensive but I'm sure you can find a better offer somewhere, I paid mine $2) https://www.amazon.com/DMC-6104-Bobbin-Winder/dp/B00114LRDI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1508928679&sr=8-4&keywords=bobbin+winder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a couple of those from when I did cross stitch. I have the little cardboards in a box too. The EZ-Bobs work fine for me.

      Delete
  7. P.S. the cardboards they sell to go with the winder are quite small. I make my own and use a hole-puncher to adapt them to the winder :)

    ReplyDelete