Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Not In Love With It


     I may soon get over this earring kick I have been on. I had to find one that I don't care for eventually. The colors are for a friend of a friend. It's not the colors.

    This is one from IL Mio Chiacchierino number 3. I have not made the other one yet. I really don't care for the construction or the look. Doing the cabone was simple enough, but I think it needs more stitches. The instruction asked for 7 stitches between the picots. I think 9 would be better. 

    The second round starts with the ring attached to the cabone, then goes around doing ring, ring chain. No problem, but the way it ends is horrid. The pattern goes to the chain, ring, chain and attaches back to the black rings. I just don't like that, and I need to get better tension control on the chains. They are supposed to sag a bit. One of mine is almost straight and the other is too loose. 

    On top of all that, there is the gap in the black rings at the top of the cabone. To me it looks incomplete. I think it would look better if it would go all the way around without the gap.

    I don't think I will make a second one, and I will probably take this one back apart and redo it to see if modifications will help. Maybe.

5 comments:

  1. It looks ok, but I agree with everything you said about the construction. If you DO try this earring again, (but filling in the gap with the black rings), try using a longer chain with a 'floating' ring off that chain between one pair of black rings - that would give you the length you want for hanging the earring from the wire, it would fill in that gap, and you may find you like the construction a bit better. That weird 'pointy' chain doesn't look like it goes with the rest of the pattern, somehow. This would eliminate that pointed chain entirely, but still keep the length and the ring to connect to the earring finding. Your tatting looks great, though. :)
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your thoughts. The design just doesn't work. The idea is intriguing. If you do try an amended version, I'm sure yours will work up better and be more pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m not keen on the top, but otherwise it’s fine. Good luck with adapting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does the weight try to straighten those top chains anyway? Your ideas for modification sound interesting. The colors look good together in that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beads are not heavy enough to pull downward. The top chains do try to twist, another reason I dont like it. Still have not gotten around to changing it yet.

      Delete